Friday, July 20, 2012

Mochanut Smoothie

This is something I have been dreaming up for a while because I LOVE chocolate and coconut combination and I had a brief love affair with the mocha coconut frappucino at Starbucks when it first came out. Now, as you check out the recipe I want you to keep in mind that you can adjust the level of coconut flavor. If you aren't a fan of shredded coconut, skip it. If you want to make your drink have a more intense coconut flavor you can try coconut mocha coffee (Donut Shop makes it for the Keurig), coconut yogurt (Dannon and So Delicious make coconut yogurts) or even use a coconut protein powder (BSN Lean makes a chocolate coconut candy bar flavor), just keep in mind that this will give your drink an intense fake coconut flavor. I personally am not a fan of artificial flavors, which is why it took me a long time to even find a chocolate protein powder that I found acceptable. My husband is a fan of Optimum Whey (its next on my list to try) and I am finishing up a bottle of Jillian Michael's Triple ChocolateShake. I like it because it doesn't contain artificial sugars. You can find it at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. Anyway, make substitutions and play with the recipe until you get your desired amount of coconut flavor.

Behold, the Mochanut!


Mochanut Smoothie (Serves 2)-Amended 07/22/12


One cup strong brewed coffee, chilled
1 small banana, frozen
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
1 tbs unsweetened cocoa
1/2 C plain or vanilla yogurt (or coconut!)
1/2 C light canned coconut milk*
2 Tbs unsweetened shredded coconut** (optional)
Pinch of Xanthan Gum (optional--for a creamier smoothie)


Blend and enjoy!
Calories per serving: 228

*You can use the coconut milk of your choice here and there are lots of options. I have tried it with the kind in a carton (there is a difference between actual coconut milk and milk made from a coconut. I think the canned coconut milk gives a richer coconut flavor but its all about personal taste).
**Unsweetened shredded coconut can usually be found in the freezer section with the frozen fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment