Monday, July 9, 2012

Whoopie for Whoopies!!!


I had a friend that loved red velvet. I have never been big on red velvet because its a cake that can't make up its mind...its a little vanilla, a little chocolate, and for some reason you dye it red. I don't get it. Its gotten really popular though. I see red velvet ice cream, red velvet cheesecake, and at the Mississippi state fair I even saw red velvet funnel cake. Anyway, she wanted red velveet whoopie pies for her birthday. A friend and I did a lot of recipe reading to find something that would have the right texture. That is the trick with whoopie recipes...a lot of them make a flat, cookie sandwich and that's great...if you want a  cookie! But for a whoopie pie you want a fluffy cake.

We found a fantastic recipe that we paired with a mascarpone filling. Whoopies are traditionally filled with a marshmallow creme based filling. I don't like to use a marshmallow filling for two reasons:

1. Its way too stinkin' sweet.
2. When you think red velvet you think cream cheese frosting. And what is better than cream cheese frosting? Not much in my book!!!

Mascarpone is a lovely Italian (if you are from Oklahoma that is pronounced Eye-talian) cheese that comes in a tub and can be found with all the fancy schmancy cheeses at your local fancy schmancy grocery store. Don't go looking at Walmart; they don't have it. Trust me. This cheese has a light and creamy texture. It is smooth and spreadable like butter and is not as heavy as regular cream cheese. I like to spread it on warm toast...mmm...where was I? Oh, I think this is the perfect cheese this recipe because it isn't too intense, but it has a nice flavor that helps keep your filling from being ridiculously sweet.

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies

You can find the Better Homes and Gardens delicious red velvet whoopie pie recipe here. See below for the mascarpone filling (its way better than the marshmallow filling. Really!). I would like to point out two things about the BHG recipe:

 1. I always use two heaping tablespoons of cocoa to give it a little more chocolate flavor.
2. I make small whoopies and it takes 10-11 minutes for them to bake in my oven. Just be sure to test them with a toothpick and keep an eye on them the first time so you know how long it takes to bake them in your oven. I also recomment using a cookie dough scoop to scoop the batter so that the whoopies are uniform (they are easier to put together that way. Otherwise you will be hunting around for similarly shaped whoopies to put together). Use parchment or silicone mats on your pants to make your life easier.  I use silicone mats and spray them with Baker's Joy before scooping batter onto the pans. They come off perfectly every time.

Mascarpone Filling
5tbs unsalted butter
1 8oz tub mascarpone cheese
1.5tsp vanilla extract
3-4 cups of powdered sugar (according to taste)

1. Throw all of the ingredients in your stand mixer or whip up with your hand mixer until fluffy.
2. Try not to eat it before you put it on the whoopies.
3. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment