Monday, July 9, 2012

Cheap and Easy Summer Wreath


This is a cheap wreath that is ideal for spring or summer. Its easy to do and I made it for around $10 (but I already had a few of the supplies on hand). I got everything at Hobby Lobby except for the flowers (they have a nice selection at Dollar Tree) and I also got everything on sale except for the wreath (I was told they never put those on sale...but you can use the 40% coupon they have online on that). No Hobby Lobby near by? Some Wal-marts have a decent craft selection. I know they at least have the paint. Michael's and A.C. Moore should have this stuff as well.

Here is what you need:

Grapevine wreath
Wooden letter
2 colors of paint (I used Folk Art brand)
Flowers (I used four bunches from Dollar Tree)
A wooden pencil with an unused round eraser
Floral wire
Hot glue gun and sticks
Wire cutters

Okay so I didn't think to take step by step pictures. I am so bad about that. But really it is just as easy as it looks.

1. Pain your letter. I use 2 coats of paint. Once it is COMPLETELY dry, use the pencil eraser and dip it lightly into the other color and make dots on your letter. Of course, the polka dots are optional. But I like them! Just be careful not to get too much paint on the eraser or your dots might look lumpy.

2. While the dots are drying, cut flowers with wire cutters and arrange. You want to leave enough of a stem that you can tuck them into the grapevine, but you will want to cut off some length so its not poking out everywhere.

3. Once you have the flowers arranged how you want them, secure with floral wire. I wrap it around the wreath and tuck it under the leaves so it isn't visible. Again, sorry I didn't take pictures. After I secure the flowers I pick up the wreath and give it a shake to make sure they are all secure.

4. Hot glue your letter where you would like it. You could also hot glue wire to the back and secure it with floral wire instead. Since my letter was nice and light it stayed with hot glue. In fact, it has been on my door since March with no problems.

Tada! New wreath. =)

These were gifts for  friends. They loved them!



No comments:

Post a Comment