Sunday, August 28, 2011

Live to Eat!

There is a reason "We Live to Eat" is the motto for the Louisiana New Orleans Restaurant Association; it is the same reason I need to put elastic waistbands in all of my pants. There are just too many delightful, delicious, and unique foods here. In the six weeks since we moved to Slidell, I have already sampled enough local fare to blog about it! Unfortunately I have failed to take pictures of any of the magical food we have had, but I am going to tell you about some of it.

One of the first places we went was Copeland's. Copeland's is known for their cheesecake, among other things. How could we not go for one called "Killed by Chocolate"? Needless to say that evening ended with me wearing stretchy pants and lying around and groaning in misery. But it was worth it.

We also had to try gator. I was pessimistic at best. We actually went to a place in Slidell known for seafood called Vera's. I tried some of their seafood, and honestly I had better when I lived in Connecticut. Meh. BUT, we decided to get an alligator sausage appetizer and OH DEAR GOD it was tasty. Juicy, flavorful, and served with remoulade.

When making the trip to Metairie to check out some local stores, we decided to hit a place that I had been told about by a friend in Connecticut that used to do a lot of business in New Orleans. Dragos's is known for charbroiled oysters. That's right, charbroiled. These bad boys are covered in butter, cheese, and I think garlic, if I remember correctly. They were so good that I would have licked the shells if I didn't think I would get strange looks from the neighboring table. Gerald, who doesn't even like oysters, loved them. I could go for some right now...and it is is 9am. Mmm mm. I did snag a picture of the oysters, although my phone does not do them justice.

A few weeks ago we went to the French Market. Gerald was feeling nostalgic for a place he went to back when he had a friend at Tulane he would visit. There are a lot of friend chicken joints in NOLA, and the one we went to, Fiorella's, is nice because it is laid back and not touristy-y. We each got a couple of pieces and a side. The sides were decent but the chicken...ooooohhhh. Crispy, juicy, and not greasy. In short, heaven on a plate!

Recently, we also tried something called swamp fries at a local restaurant in Slidell. Chesterfield's is known for having a unique menu ( I hear their pb&j burger is good, but I am scared). I selected a small salad as my main course because there was just no way we weren't indulging in swamp fries prior to a our meal. Imagine a pile of salty fries covered in cheese and a meat based gravy. Ok, it sounds kind of gross. It is like southern style poutine (if you have not had poutine, you clearly have not been to Canada). But it was disgustingly addictive.

Last Saturday for Jamie's birthday we ended up at a gay bar in New Orleans, the 700 Club. Not only did they have one of the best Long Island iced teas I have ever had, but they had deep fried mashed potatoes. I was starving and intrigued, so I went for it. They were so good that I think Gerald and I devoured them in one minute flat. I could eat those damn things every day. It is a good thing we joined a gym a few weeks ago! 

And yesterday, I tried a snow ball. Oklahoma friends, don't call them snow cone because they will know you aren't from Louisiana. It is a snow BALL. I tried a nectar cream snow ball. I still am not quite sure what it was, exactly. I can't even describe the flavor. It was sweet and a little fruity, but not really. I don't know. But it was refreshing.

And lastly, last night I had gas station chicken from a place called Krispy Krunchy. It was close midnight and we had just left Midsummer Mardi Gras. We were hot, tired, and hungry (and my friend Jamie was druunk. yes, drunk with two u's!). He suggested we try the place and being open minded and hungry, we did. Now, Jamie doesn't exactly live in the nicest part of town. Not the worst either, but there was some interesting people watching at the gas station near his house. Although, he was equally good to watch after all the beer he drank during the parade! So after picking up more beverages (Gerald selected a fine gas station wine: Night train!) we grabbed some fried chicken and honey butter biscuits. Let me tell you, those biscuits were fabulous. Fabulous! Melt in your mouth delicious. I was shoving that biscuit in my mouth while driving because I couldn't wait. And the chicken was pretty good too. Better than KFC, and you can get gas and booze at the same time. WIN.

Here is Gerald enjoying some delicious Night Train. ;) Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment