Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bruno the Magnificent

I am not the type of person that would usually dedicate a page to one of my pets, but I think Bruno deserves a shout out. Bruno is a six year old long haired Persian cat. We bought him from a breeder because we couldn't find a young Persian cat to adopt, and I really loved the Persian cat personality (independent, charming, funny, lazy, and a bit stupid).


                           

So in 2005, shortly after purchasing our house in Oklahoma City, we we brought home this little guy from a breeder. I think it was more of a rescue situation, because the house was disgusting, there were two very angry, huge dogs chained up in the garage, and the cats seemed to be begging silently for rescue. There were two little fluffballs to choose from and Bruno immediately came up to me and rubbed against my leg. Good sign!

He spent the trip to Oklahoma City perched on my shoulder like a tiny furry parrot (because did we think to purchase a carrier...no). He spent the evening hiding under the spare bed. It took him a few days to get used to us. We decided that, given his serious little face, he needed a gangster name. We didn't really want to name him Al Capone, so we decided just to settle on something very obviously Italian: Bruno.

This cat has been with us from Oklahoma to Connecticut to Louisiana. He managed every trip quietly and without complaint (except for the time he decided to bolt out of a hotel room--and I can't blame him. We got the smoking room). He has been through dermatitis, herpes, and severe allergies. He was the one alone with our other cat when she passed away. And he is still the most loving, amusing little cat around. He snores when he sleeps, he sneaks onto the bed in the middle of the night to cuddle up with me, and often sits on my lap when I am on the laptop, forcing me to put the computer down. He paws at me when I walk past him, and sits in the kitchen and begs me for treats until I relent. And last night when I turned on my heating pad, left the bedroom for a minute, and came back to find him cuddled up on it, purring, I thought, I gotta give a shout out to this little guy. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment