Sunday, August 19, 2012

Oatmeal Flax Pancakes



I love pancakes. Looooove. I have been experimenting with all sorts of pancake recipes in an attempt to make them healthy without compromising taste. I have a few recipes up my sleeve and today I am giving you the recipe for my oatmeal flax pancakes!

Before I share the recipe I want to tell you about oat flour. Its great. Its high fiber and high protein. It also tastes better than a lot of the alternative flours you come across when searching for something to replace white flour. I like Bob's Red Mill Oat Flour. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can find their products at Big Lots for less than you will even at Wally World. Yep.

I should also tell you about substitutions. See, when you see a delicious pancake recipe that you know is full of sugar and fat, you can make healthy swaps. Forget using oils; how about some greek yogurt or applesauce? Maybe canned pumpkin? Cut the sugar in half. Pancakes don't need to be too sweet, especially if you just wait and drizzle a little honey on them later. Mmm. And of course you can swap that regular ol' flour for coconut, oat, etc. On the other end of the spectrum, you have the uber healthy pancakes that you look at and go: "that doesn't sound too tasty." It happens. Sometimes those recipes are desperately in need of flavor. I suggest adding vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg...really any extract or spice that might dress them up a little. And if a recipe calls for absolutely no sugar and you feel like you need your pancakes a little sweet you can add a few tablespoons of honey OR consider adding a naturally sweet fruit like bananas.

Okay, on with the recipe! This is a recipe I adapted from Bob's Red Mill. It was actually on the package of oat flour. Basically I removed the oil from the recipe and added flax, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Oatmeal Flax Pancakes
Serves 4

1 Cup Skim Milk or Milk of Your Choice (I like coconut milk)
3/4 Cup Quick Oats
3/4 Cup Oat Flour
1/4 Cup Ground Flax Seeds
2 Tbsp Sweetener of Choice (I use raw honey)
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 Eggs, Large
1/2 Cup Plain Nonfat Yogurt
1 Tsp Vanilla


Preheat griddle over medium heat.

Mix milk and quick oats and cook in the microwave according to package directions. Let cool for a few minutes.

While oatmeal is cooling, mix flour, flax, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt. Then add oatmeal to dry ingredients.

Add eggs, yogurt, and vanilla to mixture. Stir thoroughly.

Drop pancakes onto griddle using a 1/4 cup scoop. Cook until golden brown on each side.

Nom nom nom


Top with yogurt, fruit, honey, nuts...whatever you like! Just try to keep it healthy! Enjoy.

Get in my belly

No comments:

Post a Comment