Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hurricane Season

It's summertime, ya'll! And I am sweating like a virgin at a prison rodeo. I was spoiled by four years of pleasant Connecticut summers and now I have to get used to dripping with sweat when I walk the dog at 6am.

And I am sure you are wondering why I haven't posted anything since Gerald's big 3-0. Well, it was festival season! They have a festival for EVERYTHING here or a parade. It keeps you busy. Festivals that celebrate foods (strawberries, oysters, creole tomatoes, po' boys), areas (Mid City Bayou Boogaloo, French Quarter Festival) and so on. Oh, and the parades--I had the distinct pleasure of taking pictures and doing security (ie keeping drunk people away) during the NOLA Pride parade for the Roux La La girls, all while being pretty darn drunk myself. There is just something about a celebration in the French Quarter that makes you feel the need to be publicly intoxicated. It ain't a party unless you are hungover the next day!

The Roux girls dancin' it up in the Pride parade

And I was also busy watching my favorite basketball team get to the NBA Finals. Go Thunder! I know, I live in New Orleans so I should be a Hornets fan. I don't think even the people of New Orleans are Hornets fans. I was such a dedicated Thunder fan that I even gave my cat a James Harden beard. I know I know. I really need a job. Believe me I am looking.

Fear the Beard

I have also been working hard to lose the fried chicken and daiquiri weight I gained when I moved to this state. I had kept 50lbs off for ten years and I wasn't about to gain it all back when I moved to Louisiana! I workout two hours a day and I have taken up running. I am up to six miles before I feel like puking. Woohoo! I would usually only run if I was on fire or being chased by a serial killer, so this is a great accomplishment for me. I have been inspired by two good friends of mine that have lost a lot of weight, one of which has started a wonderful Facebook page and will be starting a new blog soon. As soon as she does I will post it! Anyway, my husband and I are both back down to our healthier Connecticut weights...hopefully I will be down to a bikini weight by the fall (because down here that is when I go to the beach...not in the summer when it is too hot to enjoy it!).

Check out Jen's Facebook. She is one inspiring lady.


So the Finals are over and its going to be too damn hot before long to want to do anything outdoors. I am trying to enjoy every bit of being outside when the weather is decent, but it comes in waves. Oh, and a hurricane might be coming this week. Fortunately I will be heading out of town and will (hopefully) miss it. During our first tropical storm my poor dog was so confused...he didn't understand why he had to pee in the standing water in our backyard. It was a first for him.

But, being a former Girl Scout and former American Red Cross employee, I have prepared a hurricane kit (okay it isn't complete yet, I need to order a few things on Amazon.com but hey, I will be out of town). I found this handy website  to figure out what I would need. You can never be too careful! I am also fortunate that we can evacuate to my husband's work during a hurricane. Unfortunately our pets cannot. I have been trying to find out where I can take my pets in the event of a hurricane and I have had no luck. I am not the type of person that would just leave my furry children behind. Most likely we would pack up the necessities and head north rather than my husband's work. There really should be more information out there on where to take your pets during a weather emergency!

But anyways, summer is here and so is hurricane season. Be safe ya'll! Here is a little "Hurricane Season" by Trombone Shorty.




No comments:

Post a Comment